Tuesday 28 February 2012

THOSE WOODEN HILLS & CLIMBING THE STAIRS

When I was a child my Auntie Rachel used to say she was going to climb those wooden hills to bed. I didn't understand what the wooden hills were until I was a bit older when the meaning dawned on me that she actually meant she was going to go up the wooden staircase to bed! I have just found this prayer so thought it an appropriate one to close the day.

It is called Climbing the stairs:

By gradual steps I rise to the topmost attic of this house, from which the views are spectacular.
I could rise to the palace of heaven if there were steps enough.
Let me take two or three steps to the palace of heaven each day.
Let me think of being a little better, a little kinder, 
a little more grateful to you for your gifts, each time I climb these stairs.

(Modern prayer from Jerusalem, Israel)

No comments:

Post a Comment