Monday 20 February 2012

GOOD MORNING - THEME - SERVICE


One of the hymns I enjoy singing is called 'Brother, sister, let me serve you' and was written by Richard Gillard. Richard says that in the first half of 1976 he wrote verse 3 (I will hold the Christ light for you) but initially no more than that. It wasn't until one particularly summery Sunday afternoon in December 1976 or January 1997 back in Auckland that he took a scrap of paper out of his guitar case and began to meditate on that single verse, exploring the possibilites that it suggested. The other four verses came quickly. He prefers the down to earth groundedness of a guitar accompaniment and a simple folk song treatment but it still sounds great on an organ.

Brother, sister, let me serve you, let me be as Christ to you;
pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant too.

We are pilgrims on a journey, and companions on the road;
we are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ light for you in the night time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping; when you laugh I'll laugh with you;
I will share your joy and sorrow till we've seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven we shall find such harmony.
born of all we've known together of Christ's love and agony.

Brother, sister, let me serve you, let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant too.

No comments:

Post a Comment