Thursday 9 February 2012

PEACE - THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD

Peace I leave with you;
my peace I give to you.
I do not give to you as the world gives;
Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.

(John 14-27)

Another version:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you.
Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid


The above painting is by William Holman Hunt (1853-1854) It represents the figure of Jesus preparing to knock on an overgrown and long unopen door, illustrating Revelation 3:20 "Behold I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him and he with me". The door in the painting has no handle and can be  opened only from the inside, representing the obstinately shut mind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment