Thursday 9 February 2012

BUTTER MAKING


These photographs show a lady making butter the traditional way. They were taken on a visit to Acton Scott Farm Museum in Shropshire.
 
 I learned the following tongue twister when I was at school, do you know it and can you say it?

Betty Botter bought some butter but, said she, the butter's bitter.
If I put it in my batter, it will make my batter bitter.
But a bit of better butter will make my bitter batter better.
So she bought some better  butter, better than the bitter butter,
put it in her bitter batter, made her bitter batter better.
So 't was better Betty Botter bought some better butter.

I have mentioned previously that I enjoy listening to and singing 1940's songs and one of the songs on some recent CD's I have contained the following words, I think Gracie Fields sang it.

"Everyone's pinching my butter, they won't leave my butter alone, there's nowt like a nice bit of butter for keeping the old man at home........................" (I will have to listen to it again to find he remaining words).

No comments:

Post a Comment