Monday 13 February 2012

IN OUR WORK AND IN OUR PLAY

This morning's hymn is taken from the old School Hymn Book of the Methodist Church. I have previously stated that I have found hymns to be a source of strength through many changing scenes in my life. Over the weekend I bought a book which was written in 2002 entitled 40 of Britains Favourite Hymns and is based on the BBC1 programme Songs of Praise. The book tells not only the story of the hymn and how it came to be written but also of the hymn writer who not only faced gloomy dark days in their lives but also experienced good days which inspired them to write wonderful hymns. No doubt in the future I hope to relate some of the stories I read.  I have not researched into this morning's hymn but I like it from my Sunday School Days and may'be some of you will also know it..
News last week was that one of our Councils has now banned prayer which I think is sad but a sign of our times. I have great belief in prayer and know that many of mine have been answered over the years.

In our work and in our play, Jesus, ever with us stay'
May we always strive to be True and faithful unto Thee.

May we in Thy strength subdue. Evil tempers, words untrue,
Thoughts impure and deeds unkind, All things hateful in Thy mind.

Jesus, from Thy throne above Deign to fill us with Thy love.
So that all around may see, We belong, dear Lord, to Thee.

(There is a refrain:  Then we truthfully can sing: We are children of the King)

No comments:

Post a Comment