Monday 12 March 2012

PRIMROSES - A SIGN OF SPRING

Primrose - Language of flowers: Early Youth
(It is a pity you cannot smell these)

In parts of western England the Primrose is still called the Butter rose, because the colour of the flowers is so like that of the farmhouse butter which is made there.

Primroses became very fashionable in Victorian times and were Disraeli's favourite flower. Queen Victoria sent him many bunches from her gardens during her reign, and on his death she sent a large wreath of Primroses as a token of her affection and respect.

I love the scent of primrose. The Body Shop used to sell Primrose perfume but hasn't done so for many years. Whenever I wore it I was always asked what I was wearing as its scent was sheer delight. If anybody knows where you can buy primrose perfume that actually smells like the wild primrose please leave a comment. I did buy some pleasant primrose soap two weeks ago in Wales.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photo; maybe someday the technology will exist to allow sharing the scent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Constance, I have been meaning to check out your blog again but you are no longer following. I had a quick peep and meant to take another, can you let me know what it is called. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete