Wednesday 11 January 2012

THE LONG DAY CLOSES,THOUGHTS AT THE CLOSE OF DAY


Sunset, twilight, gloaming, eventide- all words describing evening time.Charming words. There are quite a few songs I know containing them, I wonder if you know them?

Sunset and evening star, and one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar, when I put out to sea. But such a tide as moving seems asleep, Too full for sound and foam, When that which drew from out the bounless deep Turns again home. (Tennyson)


"In the gloaming, oh my darling, when the lights are soft and low and the quiet shadows falling" ..

"When evening twilight gathers round".

"No star is o'er the lake its pale watch keeping, the moon is half awake, Through gray mist creeping, The last red leaves fall round The porch of roses, The clock has ceased to sound, the long day closes".

Some lines or verses from hymns spring to mind:

"At even, e'er the sun was set,
The sick, O Lord, around thee lay;
O in what divers pains they met!
O with what joy they went away!

Once more 'tis eventide, and we,
Oppressed with various ills, draw near;
What if thy form we cannot see?
We know and feel that thou art here.

I have always enjoyed singing hymns and they have comforted in times of need. I do not like words being changed i.e. the first line in the above is now 'when and not e'er'.

My dad used to rock me in his arms when I was a baby while he sang the old hymn "Sing them over again to me, wonderful words of life", this can now be found on the internet.

Another hymn I enjoy is:

The day thou gavest Lord is ended - especially the verse:

The sun that bids us rest is waking
Our brethren 'neath the western sky,
And hour by hour fresh lips are making
Thy wondrous doings heard on high.


(Goodnight and God bless whoever and wherever you are).

(Little grey rabbit)



No comments:

Post a Comment