Sunday 26 August 2012

'IN SEARCH OF WALES'

I bought two old books yesterday both by H V Morton. Their titles are 'In Search of Wales' and 'In Scotland Again'.
 
Here is a quote from the book about Wales regarding Conway castle:

'So the old castle at Conway stands with its grey feet in the ruthless story of ambition which is history.....

I went out into the lovely little town. In the church I found a remarkable gravestone, that of a man called 'Hookes of Conway. Gent'. He died in 1639. This stated that Hookes was the forty-first child of William Hookes, and that he himself had been the father of twenty-seven children!
This is surely one of the most remarkable boasts in the country.'

Next time I visit Conway I will go in search of this gravestone, I wonder if it is still there.

(My brother told me that H V Morton had mentioned the little church in Cornwall,mentioned in an earlier blog, in his book In Search of England. Unfortunatley, this book was not on offer at the bookshop yesterday).

No comments:

Post a Comment