Tuesday 11 September 2012

JOHN PAUL JONES - PIRATE OR PATRIOT?

Oh, look at this plaque it says John Paul Jones was born here in 1747
John Paul Jones was a local sailor and became the Father of the American Navy, he brought terror to the shores of Britain and was known as a pirate, notorious for his raid on the Cumbrian port of Whitehaven and for his daring attack on the Royal Nvy at Flamborough Head in 1779

This is the cottage where he was born
I wonder if he was rocked in that cradle
Hmm, not sure about that bed
He considered himself to be a 'citizen of the world'

Model of his most famous ship Bonhomme Richard
Lots to see here, I must learn to read
Well enough of that, I'm going to walk to Carsethorn, this is where he went to sea at the age of 13
Here I am, still a lot of walking to do, I want to see the Thirl Stane and Devil stone, they are along the beach somewhere
What a nice name - Rainbows End, where is the rainbow?
 I will be back tomorrow to show you scenes from my walk, I saw lots of interesting things on my walk
Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment