Friday 14 September 2012

BEAMISH AGRICULTURAL SHOW

We are off to visit my son in Durham today and tomorrow hope to once again visit Beamish Museum as it is their Agricultural show. I hope to have some pictures from that to put on blog next week. Above photo was taken at Beamish a few years ago and shows the old fashioned threshing machine. I remember one coming to Makin's farm in Kingsley when I was a young child. I also remember playing hide and seek with my father behind the corn stacks in the field behind the family cottage in Newton by Frodsham. I used to attend the harvest services at all the local methodist chapels - The Hurst Kingsley, Brookside Chapel Kingsley, Blakelees Chapel and Birchill Chapel which has recently become a home.

I attended St John's C of E School in Kingsley and at harvest time we would take our baskets of fruit, decorated with flowers to the church which was wonderfully decorated.

I would also take a basket of fruit decorated with flowers to the Hurst harvest service and the primary children would sing and recite. One of the songs I remember from that time was called 'Farmer, farmer sow your seed, up the field and down' - perhaps you remember it. 

After the harvest service at the Hurst my mother would invite people from other local chapels to her home for supper. I remember going to the Fryer home in Waterloo Lane after the Blakelees service. I was always the youngest there and would watch the older people and listen to their conversations, some would spend time talking to me. They were happy times and the home make cakes were really delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment