Tuesday 26 February 2013

POEM - I THANK THEE GOD THAT I HAVE LIVED

Two dear Aunt's have died in the last two weeks. The following poem was read at one of their funerals.


I Thank Thee, God, that I have lived
In this great world and known its many joys;
The songs of birds, the strong sweet scent of hay
And cooling breezes in the secret dusk;
The flaming sunsets at close of day;
Hills, and the lonely, heather covered moors;
Music at night, and moonlight on the sea,
The beat of the waves upon the rocky shore
And wild white spray, flung high in ecstasy;
The faithful eyes of dogs and treasured books;
And all that makes life dear and beautiful.
Because of these and other blessings poured
Unasked upon my wondering head,
Because I know there is yet to come
An even richer and more glorious life,
And most of all, because Thine only Son
Once sacrificed life's loveliness for me -
I thank Thee, God that I have lived.

(Elizabeth Craven)


(Rest in peace Auntie Kath and Auntie Mary - God bless)

2 comments: