Friday 30 December 2011

Ginger Beer Plant

I am hoping to make some home made ginger beer. When I was little I used to visit some neighbours who often had one of these plants on the go. I shall try to make some tomorrow.
I need 1/2 oz fresh yeast or 1/4 oz of dried yeast to mix with 2 teaspoons of ground ginger, 2 teasp. sugar and 1/4 pint water. I then will leave it for 24 hours and then feed daily with 1 teaspoon ground ginger and 1 teaspoon sugar.
After 7 days it needs to be strained through a cloth, retaining the liquid. The remaining solid is the plant which should be mixed with 1/4 pint water and then fed with ginger and sugar to produce a new batch of ginger beer. The "plant" should be divided in half about every 2 weeks.

To finish the ginger beer mix the strained liquid with 5 pints of cold water, the juice of 2 lemons and 1 1/2 lb sugar which has been dissolved in 2 pints hot water. Mix well and pour into screw top (beer or cider) bottles. Leave for 1 week before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment